Thursday, October 17, 2013

Threads

How easy we forget! I never realized how much I missed hearing my mom sew, until this past week when she came to visit. I can remember growing up how she was often found to be at her sewing machine making clothes, fixing clothes, quilting, crafting, or working on anything else that had to do with sewing. Much younger, I can remember falling asleep to the sound of her sewing machine and the soft tones of the radio in the back ground. I had forgotten all of those memories until this past week.

My mom came in to visit for a few days and immediately she got right into sewing us curtains! She sewed living room, bathroom, bedroom, and kitchen curtains in just five days, not to mention the many pairs of pants she hemmed and the extra pillows, pot holders, and table cloths she made! Our apartment is completely transformed! I refused to buy curtains for this place, because I knew I wanted my mom to make them. Next visit, I will make sure she does not sew at all, she needs a break!

One afternoon during her visit, I found myself curled up in the guest bed that smelled of her sweet "mom" scent. It wasn't long before I drifted off to sleep to the sound of the sewing machine's hum, the snip-snipping of her scissors, and the occasional steam and click of the iron. As I closed my eyes I imagined being back home again all those years ago, and fell into the most peaceful rest. Throughout the week it was wonderful to see push pins here and there, and the many loose threads that seemed to multiply daily.

After I came back from dropping her off at the airport and walked into my house, now silent, I could not swallow the lump in my throat. It was changed forever with her little touches of "home". Although she tried to clean up all the loose threads that had fallen and scattered, I am still finding them. They are comforting! In the middle of church I found one on my pants and couldn't throw it away... it was just a little piece of her with me.

We forget these little things, and I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to remember again. As a matter of fact, I'm going now to curl back up in her bed and take a nap while breathing in her scent before it's all gone.

No comments: